07 March 2007

Getting Started

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away

That's Shelley, not me

Just a word of explanation: I am not trying to be a smartarse - when trying to think of a title for this blog I latched on to the title of a song by Melbourne band TISM. Digging around for where that may have come from I discovered that it's inspiration was (or must have been) in the Shelley poem above, which, whilst I am really not big on poetry, I quite like. So, the poem explains the blog title and this hopefully explains why I stuck the poem there.

What this is really about is sticking up bits of my life whilst I am living in Singapore and jaunting around Asia so that you may see what I am up to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heya R,

So glad to see your new blog! Was a bit surprised to read (and re-read) Shelley's.

I shall however, let you clarrify the meaning (just in case I didnt get it right) the next time.

Although, see what I found! :)
http://www.blognow.com.au/Aussiemandias/

Kats